Six Treated and Released
A SMALL EXPLOSION IN A CARLISLE, Pennsylvania, 8th grade science class Wednesday injured seven students and a teacher. Five of the students and the teacher were treated and released, but two others were more seriously injured and were transported by helicopter to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland.
The fire broke out in an eighth grade science room that had 25 students in it at the time, officials said. Five students and teacher James Reddington were taken to Carlisle Regional Medical Center and released.
Students Andrew Slear and Justin Yuen were listed in fair condition Wednesday night after being flown to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center in Baltimore.
"As something was mixed together it created a fireball of sorts," said Carlisle School District Superintendent John Friend. The teacher put out the blaze (with a small extinguishe), Friend said.
Students said Reddington always makes class interesting.
The accident took place around 11:10 am at the Wilson Middle School in Carlisle. The students were gathered around the demonstration table when two chemicals appeared to have mixed improperly and sent a fireball up along with a small explosion. Some of the victims had their clothing set on fire, but most went into the Stop-Drop-and-Roll routine as the teacher put out the fire and then grabbed a fire blanket that was on standby.
The Carlisle Sentinel has a detailed report HERE.
* * * * * * *