Gasoline and Hot Embers Don't Mix
A 20-YR.-OLD MAN died Saturday night in Webster, New Hampshire, after he pitched gasoline from an open bucket onto a smoldering fire. A 17-yr.-old girl who was standing nearby was burned, but is expected to recover.
According to a statement from the state fire marshal office, Daniel Hewey, 20, of Warner, was killed due to "inhalation injuries and burns from the fire," according to the state medical examiner.
"Investigators have determined that Daniel Hewey used gasoline to attempt to ignite a brush pile in a fire pit thereby causing a small explosion and flash fire which also injured a 17-year-old female who is still being treated for her injuries at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston," the report stated. "She is expected to recover."
State Fire Marshal District Chief Max Schultz said Daniel Hewey and the girl were burning brush outdoors in a home-made fit pit, made from a cut open oil tank around 10:20 p.m. when the fire went out. Hewey tried to get the fire started back up by pouring gasoline into the pit from an open bucket, Schultz said. The gasoline vapors are highly volatile and should never be used on a fire, Schultz said. "It basically exploded," he said.
Both Hewey and the girl caught fire and first responders were called for the emergency.
Hewey was rushed to Concord Hospital where he later died of his injuries. The girl was taken to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston for treatment. Her injuries are mostly to her face, Schultz said adding that, "She's going to be OK."
* * * * * * *