Confined, Extinguished, Salvage & Overhaul Done In 20 Minutes
ANNUAL CHRISTMAS PARADES WERE BEING held all across the country last night, weather permitting. The parade in Virginia Beach, Virginia, had an unscheduled entrant just as the event was nearing its finish when a fire rapidly engulfed one of the floats traveling down Atlantic Avenue.
Around 6:45 pm one of the last floats which was sponsored by Princess Anne Farms was set alight by the portable generator that was being used to power the display. The generator was mounted in the pickup truck used to tow the float and was enclosed for some reason inside a plywood box.
When the crew dragged the generator off of the truck, the drop on the pavement broke the box and enlarged whatever was leaking the gasoline, making the fire even larger. Hay scattered about the deck caught on fire and spread quickly sending all aboard scattering as well.
Everyone got away safely and as fortune would have it, the group from the Oceana Volunteer Fire Department was just ahead of the rolling torch. They were on the spot within moments and a couple of members dashed into a nearby pizzeria to grab their extinguishers and had the fire confined while their brush truck got turned around and responded, then knocked the fire down with their booster hose.
WTVR-TV posted this YouTube video taken by one of the parade-watchers:
After making everything safe, they had the float removed from the street after just 20 minutes and the balance of the parade continued on including the final presentation of Santa Claus officially opening the season.
Good job, everyone!
* * * * * * *