No Smoke Detectors
AN OKLAHOMA CITY, OKLAHOMA, FAMILY WAS DECIMATED Wednesday morning when a fire swept throught their house, trapping most of them inside.
Ch. 6 News
The Oklahoma City Fire Department received the alarm at 6:30 am and when the first units arrived on the scene they had fire showing from every window of the house. The FF's knew there were reports of children trapped, but had to knock the fire back before they could get inside to search. Once they did, they found the bodies of Jeanine Bonnett, 28, and her four children ages 8, 7, 5 and 3. A sixth person, a man in his thirties was found critically burned over his body and is in the hospital burn unit.
It was quickly determned by the fire investigator that the fire was started by a space heater that had been placed to closely to a sofa. There were no smoke detectors in the house.
Fire Battalion Chief Randy Cornelius says that the presence of smoke alarms may very well have made the difference in saving lives in this case.
KOCO-TV Ch. 5 filed this video report:
For more details on the incident, refer to:
* * * * * * *
Also on FireGeezer…
- Four Children Perish in Rochester Fire – February 18, 2012
- 3-Bagger in Oklahoma City Takes Out 16 Apartment Units – July 16, 2012
- Mom and 4 Kids Perish in Suspicious House Fire – October 16, 2012
- 2 Children Die, 2 Others Serious in Racine House Fire – November 9, 2012