The Little Tyke 'Fessed Up
A 4-YR.-OLD BOY ADMITTED THAT he was playing with a lighter when he accidentally started a fire in his bedroom that spread to two other houses before the FD arrived Monday afternoon. When the first units came on the scene around 2:20 pm Pacific they found both units of a duplex involved along with a third unit next door.
Modesto Bee photo
Crews began to attack the fire while also searching for anyone who may have been trapped in the homes. All the home occupants were able to make it out of their houses however, one of the families still had their dog trapped in the burning home.
A firefighter rescued the trapped dog from the structure and was bitten on his hand by the frightened animal. The dog was able to bite through the firefighter's leather glove, drawing blood. The firefighter was treated on the scene by an ambulance crew and received a precautionary Tetanus shot at an area hospital.
Nine adults and two children were displaced from the three homes and were provided overnight shelter by the Red Cross. The only injury reported was the above-mentioned dog bite.
The Modesto News was on the scene as the hose lines were being pulled and has posted this video report that includes good coverage of the fireground activities and a press statement by the Modesto FD battalion chief on the scene:
The Modesto Bee has MORE.
* * * * * * *
Also on FireGeezer…
- Vacant California House Ka-Boom Takes Two More With It – September 9, 2012
- Three Houses Burn in Chicago – June 26, 2012
- UPDATED: Overnight Fire Claims 6 Family Members – May 13, 2013
- 5 Siblings Die in House Fire – March 31, 2013